ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 1


07/05/2019 (Week 6 - Week 7)
Dk Nur Reem Rashah Pg Mohammad Apri (0336605)
Advanced Typography
Project 1
_______________________________________________________________

INSTRUCTIONS:



For this project, we were firstly instructed to look for inspiration for a key artwork for the project. Hence, we were asked to truly explore what the message that the event is trying to deliver in order to create a successful key artwork that best represents the 'Troublemaker Manifesto'. 

At first, I did not really understand the true meaning of troublemaker with the context of the event in mind. 

These are my initial drafts:

Fig 1. First Initial Draft

Fig 2. Second Initial Draft

Fig 3. Second Initial Draft 2

Fig 3. Second Initial Draft 3

After getting feedback, I realised that I should have given a different approach to representing the concept of 'troublemaker' for the key artwork. Essentially, this event is supposed to serve as a movement fighting against the system in terms of encouraging creativity instead of allowing a corporate approach towards design. Hence, the word 'troublemaker' as the speakers have created trouble by breaking these rules.

gave it a lot of thought as I considered this and ended up with portraying this concept with a child stepping over a fence. I figured that this can represent the movement of the speakers making revolutionary steps in order to create change within the design world.

Fig 4. Draft 1

Fig 5. Draft 2

Fig 6. Draft 3


Fig 7. Draft 4

After receiving feedback, Mr Vinod prefer draft 4 and suggested to align the words following the lines provided within the image.

This was the final outcome:

Fig 8. Final Composition


Fig 9. Final composition (with yellow border)

Fig 10. Final composition (with black border)
_______________________________________________________________

FEEDBACK:


Week 6:
Specific Feedback: Mr Shamsul and Mr Vinod told me that I should reconsider my key artwork as it did not communicate the general message that the event represents. Hence, I have to reconsider how I would like to present this event by thinking of what type of key artwork would best resonate with the speakers of the event as well as the message they are aiming to deliver to their audience.

Week 7:
Specific Feedback: For my second draft, Mr Vinod advised me to align the textual elements to the existing lines that my image has in order to make my key artwork more organised.

_______________________________________________________________

REFLECTIONS

Experiences:

Week 6:
For this week, I've experienced a lot of confusion on finding out how to represent the 'troublemaker manifesto' as accurately as possible. I thought that it was merely a concept that can apply to whatever type of troublemaker. It didn't occur to me that there might be a specific approach towards the 'troublemaker manifesto' theme.

Week 7:
I experienced that I was having a better time during the process of making the key artwork when I understood what approach needs to be taken in terms of ensuring that it represents the message that the speakers hope to deliver to their audience.

Observations:

Week 6:
For this week, I observed that most of the other students had their own different approach when creating  their key artwork for this project. Some had a few unique ideas where they used animals that had asian connotations that represents troublemaker. Other used bold street artists to represent the speakers as they created trouble through an art form.

Week 7:
I observed that my final outcome for my key artwork had a very simple concept as it revolves around a child stepping over the fence to represent the speaker stepping over the systematic/corporate ways that were dawned upon designers today. 

Findings:

Week 6:
I found that it was a very slow design process where I had little knowledge as to where I was gonna go with my key artwork after receiving feedback that my initial artwork did not best represent the speakers as there was no connection to the context of the event.

Week 7:
After re-thinking of another approach towards my key artwork, I found that I was able to come to a conclusion where my final outcome was able to communicate the speaker's message to a certain extent.

_______________________________________________________________

FURTHER READING:

'Basic Design 02: Layout' by Ambrose and Harris (2005)




Comments

Popular Posts