TYPOGRAPHY PROJECT 2


(Week 10- Week 11)
Dk Nur Reem Rashah Pg Mohammad Apri (0336605)
Typography
Project 2
_______________________________________________________________

LECTURES

Lecture 9: Introduction to Project 2
(24/10/18) Week 9

We were briefed on our project 2 and we were guided through on what we are expected to do to design our font. We were told that our font should be either regular or bold.

Lecture 10: X

(31/10/18) Week 10

No lecture this week.
_______________________________________________________________

INSTRUCTIONS



PROJECT 2 (Week 9- Week 10)

Font Design- Study of a letter from a typeface, and creating our own font with our name intials

For this second project, we will be designing a font where we start with looking at an existing font as inspiration first.

Firstly, we did an exercise that will introduce us to the process of creating a font by studying a letter from the preferred typeface. I chose Gll Sans as it is the typeface that I like best out of the ten other typefaces provided.
Fig 1.0 - Introductory exercise to font design - study of lowercase letter 'r' - Gill Sans

Afterwards, we went ahead to sketching a rough idea of how our font will look like.

Fig 1.1 - Rough sketch of initials - font design

From there, we used the sketch as a reference and vectorise it through Illustrator.


Fig. 1.2 Compilation of introductory exercise, Gill San typeface, and my font.


 Fig 1.3 Final outcome of font design

_______________________________________________________________

FEEDBACK

Week 9
Specific feedback: I showed Mr Shamsul my work and he advised me to improve on certain parts of my font. There were some parts where I needed to curve the lines more in order for the whole font to look more clean and accurate in terms of structure.

Week 10
No feedback due to Deepavali holiday.

REFLECTION

EXPERIENCES

Week 9
I felt like it was almost similar to the lettering exercise except this was more concise.

Week 10
I found it hard to find solutions to some problem areas within my font design without making the entire font look too different from the initial idea I had. 

OBSERVATIONS

Week 9
From my inital rough sketch, there's a striking difference between my vectorised font and my rough sketch in terms of structure. Though, I liked how it ended up looking compared to my initial sketch.

Week 10
It was interesting to see how other students were either creating a more expressive kind of font or a classic type where its more generic. 







Comments

Popular Posts