TYPOGRAPHY - EXERCISES



27/08/18 - 3/10/16 (Week 1 - Week 6)
Dk Nur Reem Rashah Pg Mohammad Apri (0336605)
Typography
Exercises
_______________________________________________________________

LECTURES:

Lecture 1: Introduction to Typography
(27/08/18) Week 1

Our lecture began with an introduction to a general idea of the module contents. This includes exploring and studying typography through the course, as well as independent learning through further reading. Mr. Vinod also introduced the concept of recording our work by producing an e-portfolio. In order to allow a better understanding of how we should start our e-portfolios, we were provided with a student sample of well-presented e-portfolio. With the guidance of the sample, we were able to make and structure our e-portfolio through Blogspot.

After doing so, the lecture continued with the explanation of what typography is. From the presentation, we learned that typography is essentially 'the style and appearance of matter' (oxforddictionaries.com). Typography can also be described as 'the style, arrangement, and appearance of the letters, numbers, and symbols created by the process' (wikipedia.com).

We also learned three key terminologies that will help us understand typography;

1. FontRefers back to the French term, 'foundry'; which means the process of creating a typeface.

2. TypefaceThe family of fonts that share similar qualities.

3. Type familyThe family of weights within an individual typeface.

After the presentation, Mr. Vinod provided us with a list of materials what we would need for our upcoming task; some Artline Calligraphy Pens (3.0), and A4 graph paper.

Lecture 2: Basic & Describing Typography
(05/09/18) Week 2

Our lecture started with an introduction to the different types of technical terms used in typography. Some of the main terms that we discussed about were
Most of these terms often describe certain parts of the letterforms. 

1. Baseline: An imaginary line as the visual base of the letterforms.

2. Median: An imaginary line to determine the x-height of the letterforms.

3. X-height: Height in any typeface of the lowercase 'x'.


Fig 1.0 - Visual represenation of baseline, median and height

  • Types of Typefaces

Fig 1.1 Types of typefaces

  • Difference in typefaces

Due to the fact that typefaces were made with the intent to express words in a readable or understandable way (in terms of context) for the reader, each typeface would explore a variety of different stroke widths and weights.


Fig 1.2 Difference in typefaces

Lecture 3: X
(12/09/18) Week 3


There was no lecture this week as we had to continue with our calligraphy exercise instead.

Lecture 4: Development & Timeline of Typography
(19/09/18) Week 4

  • Early letterform development: Phoenician to Roman

Fig 1.3 Alphabets from different eras of time
  • Text type classifications

1. Blackletter (1450):
  • Used as a printing type
  • Based on hand-copying styles used in Northern European's books. 

2. Oldstyle (1475):
  • Based on lowercase forms by Italian humanist scholars for book copying
  • Also based on uppercase letterforms found inscribed on Roman ruins.

3. Italic (1500): 
  • Condensed and close-set.

4. Script (1550): 
  • Taken from engraved calligraphic forms

5. Transitional (1750):
  • A development from the oldstyle and it is often used in casting and printing. 

6. Modern (1775): 
  • A further development of oldstyle.

7. Square Serif/ Slab Serif (1825): 
  • A heavily bracketed serif with small differences between thick and thin strokes. 

8. Sans Serif (1900):
  • No serifs used in this type.

Lecture 5: X
(26/09/18) Week 5


There is no lecture this week as we continued on with our lettering exercise as well as the animation for it.

Lecture 6: X

(03/10/16) Week 6


There is no lecture this week as we continued on with our type expression exercise. We were then briefed on our first project on text formatting and expression.

_______________________________________________________________

INSTRUCTIONS:





Calligraphy (Week 1- Week 3)

During the first week, we were given the task to practice using the calligraphy pen by filling an A4 graph paper with consistent strokes of vertical, horizontal and circular lines.

Fig 1.4 First attempts on vertical, horizontal, circular strokes

Fig 1.5 More attempt on vertical, horizontal, circular strokes

Fig 1.6 Final outcome on vertical, horizontal, circular strokes

The next task was to choose a calligraphic hand and practice writing with the chosen hand. We were given four options; Black Letter, Roundhand, Uncial, Chancery. I decided to choose Uncial.


Fig 1.7 Chosen Hand: Unical (Source: https://www.learncalligraphy.co.uk/uncial.html)

Fig 1.8 Uncial alphabet drills

Fig 1.9 Alphabets (A-Z) 


Once I've completed practicing the alphabets, our next objective was to write a passage with the chosen hand. I decided to write a quote from 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho; "...every blessing ignored becomes a curse."

Fig 1.10 Uncial Calligraphy practice

Fig 1.11 Attempt on A4 paper

Fig 1.12 Final outcome - Uncial Calligraphy on A4 paper (edited - shadows removed)

_______________________________________________________________

Animated Lettering (Week 4-5)

For this exercise, we were expected to create an animated lettering that effectively expresses a trait of our own personality. Firstly, Mr. Vinod suggested that we should sketch out at least 5 potential styles of lettering that focuses on expressing the characteristic we chose to represent our personality. 

Initially I was going to choose 'childlike'/'childish' as the characteristic for my lettering. Below are my intial sketches for this idea.


Fig 2.0 - Initial idea - first drafts

Though, I couldn't really grasp of the word childlike and attempted to do more skecthes to further explore any other potential styles that would best reflect a 'childlike' atmosphere. 


Fig 2.1 - Draft 5

Fig 2.2 - Draft 6

Fig 2.3 - Draft 7

Fig 2.4 - Draft 8

Fig 2.5 - Chosen draft

In the process I ended up liking one of my sketches that I thought was interesting. But I knew that the workd 'childlike' wouldn't really suit. So I ended up choosing another characteristic for my lettering. I felt that the adjectives 'weird' and 'grim' would suit the typeof lettering I wanted to do. Hence, I ended up choosing the adjective 'weird' as my characteristic for my lettering as it suited my personality type as well.

Fig 2.6 Chosen draft -rough sketch - lettering -'weird'

Fig 2.7 Selected design created on Adobe Illustrator

Fig 2.8 (First draft) Progress - Creating multiple artboards

Fig 2.9 First draft on frame animation created on Adobe Photoshop

Fig 2.10 Progress towards final outcome - Creating artboards for the second attempt

Fig 2.11 Final outcome - animated lettering - Weird

_______________________________________________________________

Type expression (Week 5-Week 6)

We were given six words to express; sparkle, float, blur, heavy, tall and rage. Moreover, we were instructed to only choose from ten specific typefaces to do this task.
Fig. 3.1  Final outcome of 6 different type expression

After getting our work approved, we were instructed to choose one of our type expressions to animate. I decided to animate my type expression for rage as I thought it was the most interesting one out of the rest.



Fig. 3.3 Final outcome for animated type expression

_______________________________________________________________

Feedback

Week 1
Specific Feedback: Both Mr. Shamsul and Mr. Vinod mentioned that I needed to practise on my circular lines. Each end of the two strokes I drew to create the circle did not meet together smoothly. Mr. Vinod also advised me to stop my habit of changing the angle of my pen when I do circular strokes. On the other hand, my vertical and horizontal lines were said to be consistent and that it had a good distance between each line. Thus, I need to keep on practising on drawing circles and being consistent with the angle of my pen as well as the shape of the circle in order to make sure that the two ends meet fluidly.

Week 2
Specific feedback: When I presented my draft for the calligraphy task, Mr. Shamsul commented that the spacing between the letters are fine. However, he did suggest that I should be more consistent on the spacing between each line of words. Mr. Shamsul also advised that I needed to improve on the placement of the passage. It needed to be more in the centre of the page. Other than that, he also said that my writing is fine. 

Once I presented my final outcome, Mr Vinod commented that my attempt on the graph paper looks much better in comparison to my final outcome on A4 paper. Mr Vinod estimated that I would get a B- with my current work. He suggested that I should do a second attempt by drawing light lines with pencil as a guide. He also advised that I can also put my draft under the A4 paper and trace the writing. He recommended that I should use a lightbox to aid with the tracing. 

Week 3
Specific feedback: Mr. Vinod commented that my drafts for the lettering exercise are good. However, they do not represent the adjective ('childlike') that I chose to describe my personality. Mr Vinod suggested that I should study some children's handwriting in order to help me come out with a better outcome. My second draft was also not successful in effectively expressing a childlike atmosphere.So I've decided to change the adjective to 'inconsistent' instead. I have yet to receive feedback on my new work.

Week 4
Once I presented my work to Mr Shamsul, he said that my animated lettering was good and that it delivered the intended message well.

Week 5
Specific feedback: When I presented my first attempt, both Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul said I needed to improve certain expressions such as 'sparkle', 'float', and 'blur'. 'Heavy' could be slightly better, though 'tall' and 'rage' were said to be fine. For my second attempt, Mr. Shamsul said it improved and that I can move on to animating the type expression. I decided to animate my type expression for 'rage'.

Week 6
Specific feedback:I showed Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul my animation for rage and they said I did a good job in expressing rage in terms of type and animation.

_______________________________________________________________

Reflection/Experiences

Week 1
The first lecture was very informative in terms of clarifying the module. I felt that everyone was overwhelmed of what is expected for this module. 

Week 2
It was a very challenging week as this is my first experience in attempting to do calligraphy. It was stressful but I felt like it was a good opportunity given to further equip more skills in order to develop as a designer.


Week 3
I felt like lettering was a more enjoyable process to experience compared to typography as it gave a more 'free-flow' approach. 

Week 4
I quite enjoyed doing my work on Photoshop and Illustrator. I felt more comfortable than doing things on hand.

Week 5
I found it difficult to keep up having to do my work and blog about it in a consistent manner.

Week 6
I noticed that I definitely need to prioritize my blog and start posting my work more consistently.

_______________________________________________________________

Observations

Week 1
I realized that the e-portfolio is expected to be done in a strict manner as it has been stressed in the introduction that the e-portfolio is supposed to be structured in a specific way 

Week 2
I felt very stressed out and nervous when I was doing my calligraphy work. My hands were not used to the angle or position that is held while doing calligraphy.


Week 3
I really enjoyed the lettering, I felt like I had the ability to freely express what and how I wanted to present my work.

Week 4
I found that everyone one else seemed relaxed while doing work in Illustrator/Photoshop as we were more used to the platform compared to the time when we were doing calligraphy.

Week 5
I noticed that it was hard to update my work while I'm still in the progressing of improving my work. Hence, I had the tendency to not post anything yet until I finalize my work.

Week 6
I noticed that doing the blog was very tedious. I felt that having a physical portfolio would be more efficient. Though, I understand how the e-portfolio will be very helpful in the future. 

_______________________________________________________________

Further reading
Fig 4.0 'New Typographic Design' - Roger Fawcett-Tang

Fig 4.1 'The Fundamentals of Typography' - Gavin Ambrose and Paul Harris

Fig 4.2 'Just My Type' - Simon Garfield

Fig 4.3 'Anatomy Of A Typeface' - Alexander Lawson

Fig 4.4 'Typographic Design: Form and Communication' - Rob Carter, Ben Day, Philip







Comments

Popular Posts